Animal systems biology delivers high-impact solutions.
- is about “putting things together rather than taking things apart”.
- is a new approach to integrate biological information from the micro to macro levels (genes - mRNA - protein - organ - system - multiple systems - whole animal).
- provides a more comprehensive understanding of functions and interactions of complex biological systems in animals.
- uses “omics” analytical techniques and bioinformatics integrated with traditional measurements of animal growth to discover “cause and effect” relationships.
- analytical techniques include metabolomics, transcriptomics, molecular genetics, metagenomics, bioinformatics, intestinal sensing, signaling, and cell differentiation.
We are inspired to deliver molecular solutions to complex biological processes in food animal production.
We are leaders in systems biology and are focused on understanding the underlying mechanisms of biological response to nutritional, genetic, and environmental factors.
We offer collaborative opportunities to enhance your product development efforts by partnering to discover these mechanisms with your application.
What are systems biology techniques?
- Metabolomics is a systematic evaluation of the unique chemical “fingerprints” resulting from specific cellular processes
- Transcriptomics examines the expression of mRNAs in a specific cell population.
- Molecular genetics involves studying the structure and function of genes at the molecular level.
- Metagenomics broadly describes studies of genetic material extracted from environmental samples.
Our test platform is based on integrative systems biology using metagenomics, metabolomics, transcriptomics, and gastrointestinal physiology.
INTEGRATED SYSTEMS BIOLOGY
- Systems biology Is a multi-level integration of biological data from animal feeding studies using “omics” tools and bioinformatics.
- Nutrients can directly alter the transcriptome through interactions with transcript factors or they can alter transcription through epigenetic effects.
- Changes induced at the transcription level can be evaluated in higher levels of the system by using microarrays or next-generation sequencing.
- Bioinformatics tools are useful for analyzing the functional significance of “omics” data.
(Adapted from Loor et al., 2015).
We provide solutions for nutrition based applications including but not limited to:
- Dietary fiber and enzymes
- Lipid peroxidation and antioxidants
- Alternatives to antibiotic growth promoters
- Phytochemicals and nutraceuticals
- Organic trace minerals